July was a washout with regards to getting anything done in the shop, so not much available content for the blog....
A home project to replace the shingled roof on our house with metal took up 2 weeks of my July holidays and work travels took up a good portion of the rest of the month. Day trips with family need to happen too. This Monday to Friday temporary assignment I'm currently doing at work is good that the work is both challenging and really interesting, but it only leaves weekends to enjoy the summer. As of last week, I've been advised that I'll be returning to shift work at the end of September. I don't want to go back to the communications centre, but on the bright side, my schedule during the week gets freed up substantially (4 days off every week), allowing me more shop time.
Speaking of work travels, I had a chance to check out the Chapleau Ontario airport. Although there wasn't much to see (MNR fire base was quiet), I did notice this cool sign posted by the local flying club:
July and the beginning of August hasn't been a total loss I suppose. I did manage to get some work done on the elevator and horizontal stab.
When I fastened the skin to the stab skeleton, I marked out where I needed to trim the trailing edge. The extra was on purpose - it allowed for proper length and square fit. Now that fitting is complete and correct, I can trim it back:
With the trimming done, the rear slot is cut. This is where the elevator cables pass through the stab:
I notched back the spar doubler a small bit, leaving clearance for the rivet. Everything was deburred, cleaned up and primed after this photo was taken. Fortunately only had two places where this was an issue.
With the stab skeleton ready, I deburred the stab skin holes on inside and outside - there are a ton!
Cortec primer on the rivet lines was next. I really like how it applies - next to no smell, easy clean up and cures almost clear:
With the primer curing, I turned my attention to the elevator skeleton. Some final measurements to ensure it's built square and it is ready to taken apart again for final debur and prime.
The elevator skins are made of 016 aluminum sheet, folded at the trailing edge and fastened to the top and bottom of the spar. It consists of two sheets of equal length meeting a the centre:
To allow the rudder to move left and right, the skins are cut out at the centre box where the rudder hinges are. It's difficult to perceive in this picture, but once folded the cut out makes sense.
It's important to radius the corners of the cutout, so I started with a centre punch then a pilot hole and followed that up with a 3/8 drill hole.
Cut outs complete for the left elevator skin. Easier to see how this will look when folded. Round file and debur tool to clean things up. This is a exposed edge, so I final sanded it with 360 grit:
Careful use of the bending brake got the fold most of the way, then I used a small diameter aluminum rod to finish the fold to the 5 degree bend called for in the plans:
I used the same piece of pipe to curve the elevator nose skins that I had used for the horizontal stab - much easier this time.
By this point the primer has cured on the elevator skeleton. Re-assemble and check for square - all good to final rivet. I'll wait to final rivet the tip ribs once the skins are on and I can align the elevator and stab hinges:
With the prime cured on the stab skin, it is reinstalled for final riveting. I've decided to river the curved side (lower) and leave the flat side open for inspection. It's kind of weird order - first place the skin over the spar pick ups and cleco everything down tight:
Flip everything over and cleco down the flat (upper) side:
Flip it back over and complete the riveting on the curved (lower side). Really happy how everything is coming together and how straight everything looks :)
The stab is essentially complete at this point. Remaining items to be done are final rivet the hinge assembly (waiting elevator match up), cable pass-through slot in leading edge and fairleads (rub strips). I've also decided to add wing fences to the stab tips which have valuable aerodynamic benefits and really cleans everything up. More on the fences later.
Next up, get the elevator skins fitted up, then cut the trailing edge for the trim tab and install the servo.
Thanks for following along, more to come soon!
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.