Looking back this year I'm pleased about the progress I've made on my airplane build. I don't have a bunch of tangible things to show for it, but the amount of learning I've done, both with mistakes made and discovered, and with new experiences and skills learned is amazing.
Some of the 701 wing repair/extension stuff I accomplished this week:
Drilling and riveting the rear wing spar extension doubler sleeve (say that 5 times fast!)
Marking out the new wing rib to wing tip extension spar:
Tying back the wing skin to gain better access:
With room to work, laying out the proper location for the rear wing spar extension. Length is critically important for maintaining wing rib squareness:
Lots of A5 rivets here...
On the original 701 plans, each wing rib is full length from front spar to trailing edge of the wing. To enhance the strength of the rear extension spar, we've decided to split the wing rib at the rear spar. Here is the first one being held in place before being trimmed to fit. It will be fastened using the two inboard A5 rivets at the spar joint. Which I'll have to drill out as we hadn't thought this was the route we were going. Learning, right?
Installed after trimming with two new A5 rivets:
The wing rib attaches to a new bracket which also is attached to the spar sleeve with A5 rivets. Thankfully I waited to attach these after fabricating and fitting the bracket. Note the two rivets that are placed in reverse direction due to limited spacing inside the small rear rib section:
Here are the new ribs in place. The next rib went much easier as I didn't have to contend with the wing spar joint. The rear rib section still has to be fabricated and we have to decide on how to make the new flapperon pick-up bracket. I've still got to finalize the inside wing spar extension doubler, not happy with the fit yet. We'll wait for final squaring up and deburing before final rivets.
Another view. A few more tiny details to finish up (nose ribs, trimming the rear spar to 45 degrees for the wingtip etc) then we'll start to skin the wing extensions and the areas that need replacing near the root where I made the repairs earlier. Progress!
2017 definitely has been a busy year in the shop.
My goals for 2018:
Happy New Year everyone..... all the best to you and yours and thanks for following along!
Been steadily working to complete the wing extension. Haven't had much change to work on my own stuff, just trying to get the 701 stuff done to make room on the workbench for the larger sheets of 0.032 and 0.042 thickness. I need the room to make the long spars for the tail. I'll likely do the wing spar webs at the same time. Likely going to try using a router to make the long cuts, but more on that later.
I reattached the original spar tip to take some measurements to confirm the lengths of the extended spars. It took a lot of figuring because the original builder (as I've stated many times before) wasn't really accurate with measuring his parts).
I temporarily added the first of two new ribs and clecoed the flapperon back in place to aid in measuring for the rear spar extensions for each:
A lot of time doing repairs is fixing the little things one comes across during the rebuild. Ron has told me that this plane was a mess of wrong measurements. As a result, it never flew straight as designed, so the original owner added fixed trim tabs all over the place. These "correct" handling issues by working against aerodynamic forces as the plane flies through the air. We want to start with a properly built aircraft and only add these if they are required. So this one on the flaps has to come off:
With measuring and measuring, checking and measuring again I made the new spar extensions. What took a long time was making the doubler sleeves that connect these to the original spars. Using some scraps of the same thickness, it took me 3 tries to get them exactly the right size. They have to fit on the inside of the spar to ensure the wing an flapperon skins have a continuous level surface to attach to. In the picture below, the inner sleeves are actually on top of the new spar extensions for the sake of the picture. This process will be repeated for the leading edge slats, then everything again on the second wing when we get to it.
That's it for now my dedicated followers. I've got some time set aside this week for the shop (between Christmas shopping and my paying job). Lots of lessons learned this past couple of weeks that will really be helpful when I start working on my stuff.
Stay tuned, next update coming before Christmas (hopefully).
Time until takeoff
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.