After a week of resting up my arm, I took the day to go to the shop to see what I could get done.
First up, I decided to tackle the patch we need to make for where the original upper wing skin got torn at the root. This was either in the crash (likely), recovery of the wreckage (more likely) or propagated from the non-existent edge deburring by the original builder (probably most likely, but no way to prove it).
I had previously stop drilled the end of the tear and trimmed back towards the root edge. Using a lid from a coffee can, I traced the approximate shape we want the patch to cover:
I cut the patch to match the blue outline. The line is an appoximation of the open space we are trying to cover:
Final holes to A4 size, deburr and rivet. I used an edging tool to roll down the trailing edge. This tightens the patch against the skin:
The final photo of the patch - nice and tight:
Next up was finding another length of 016 for the outboard nose skin. While rolling up the remainder, the coil slipped a bit, catching my finger with the fresh sharp edge.... ouch! Feel kind of stupid and should have known better to wear gloves. Fairly deep cut, but took more skin layers than anything and I was able to tape it up and stop the bleeding without to much effort. Just in a bad spot on my good hand. Learning as I go right? LOL
I didn't take many more pictures today, just wanted to keep working. Did manage to get the outboard wing nose skin cut to rough size and deburred. Next up I'll have to cut the remaining slot bracket holes and get both of these nose skins mounted.
One thing I did take a picture of though.... one of my rolled sheets of 040 that I bought last summer. I'm getting it ready to roll it out and cut some more parts for my 750 tail. This time I'll wear gloves :)
Thanks for reading, more soon :)
Time until takeoff
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.