Back in the shop today.... a full day to get lots done.
Started the day by cleaning up some of the small details for the flap brackets and assorted attachments. Surprisingly, most of these are actually good (contrary to most of what we've found during this repair). All four original flapperon brackets are stripped of paint, final sanded (not done by original builder) and clecoed in place. Final riveting will happen when we align the flaperrons. The new fifth one is already for final rivets and paint.
As with the flapperons, the wing extension we've added will require the slats to be extended too, meaning an additional slat support will need to be added. But first, I had to assess the current ones for condition and fit.
It became very apparent that the slats were installed with the same random carelessness of everything else on this wing. I really think most of the holes drilled by the original builder were done blind.
Here is the first one I I looked at. Clearly not to plan specs. Don't think those two top rivets will hold much, do you?
Drilled them out and not surprising, the nose rib looks like swiss cheese. No way we'll leave it that way or try and drill new slat supports to match either.
We decided to add doublers on both sides of the ribs that require this (we replaced several damaged ones with new already) in order to sandwich things together and give us fresh material to anchor to:
Taking a closer look at the slat supports, we determined that these too were randomly sized. Stacking them shows this well, none of the holes align, let alone match the plans:
So, like a lot of other things, we are replacing these with new. This of course means making new bent strips that will support the nose skin and required slot for the slat support.
Making the bent strips was fairly straight forward and and glad they turned out well.
It's very important that all slat supports are aligned the same, both for aerodynamic reasons and alignment of the slats. To accomplish this, the plans show how to create a positioning jig that puts the slat support in the correct position and alignment for riveting.
The bent strip is added and pre-drilled for fit:
The whole thing is re-assembled back in the jig for final drilling:
Disassemble again, debur, re-assemble and final rivet:
Managed to to get two done in about an hour. The second one went easier now that I know the process. With the second in place, it's clear the efforts to do it right are paying off. There are five in total so three more to do.
A view from about mid wing looking out towards the tip. A closer look shows perfectly aligned slat supports - yes!
That was a good day of work. Next up is finishing the other three slat supports and prepping the nose skin.
Thanks for reading :)
Time until takeoff
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.