Those that know me also know that I tend to stew on things. It's a trait I've always had and as I grow older, I've tried turning the energy that is wasted away worrying about the little things and more towards solving the problem or fixing the mistake. It doesn't always work, but sometimes, with a little thought and time to ponder it does.
I got to thinking about the Rear Wing Root channel that I made the "oops cut" on last week. Looking over the plans, not all is lost. I'd already made the flange end longer than what the plans called for. Beefing things up in this manner is an accepted practice. This larger flange means that I still have room to correct my mistake and salvage the piece.
Here is the damage I did. You can clearly see where the cut extended beyond the relief hole:
By trimming the flange end a little bit narrow and creating a new relief hole, I eliminated the bad cut and still met the requirements for size on both. The corrected mistake is shown on the top in this picture and my second proper length "no damage beyond the relief hole" cut at the bottom:
Once I dressed and deburred the edges of the entire piece, off to the bending brake we went.
Unfortunately, I went a bit far with the lower edge. It ended up with a full 90 degrees of bend, but needed to be less than 90 to match the curvature of the wing skin.
No big deal, I just made up a jig to bend it back a bit (you can't undo bends in the brake). The key is to bend it all at once to maintain a consistent edge on the flange. You can see in the next picture that I placed the channel on the workbench and used a two-by-four and C-clamps to secure it. Ron has an excellent flanging tool just perfect for adjusting things (painted red):
Worked like a charm... my oops is no more!
Fit up seem good. Plenty of room for new rivet location and flange matches top of the rib:
Next I worked on making a new wing root attachment bracket to replace the damaged original. This required cutting thick aluminum with the band saw, a new experience for me (although I've cut wood many times on the bandsaw). It went well. The secret is to cut the piece out slightly larger, allowing room to sand/grind the piece smooth to it's final dimension:
Next up will be to make a replacement forward wing attachment bracket and the new wing root spar doubler that we discovered was missing on the original build. Luckily we have a traceable template for this:
With each repair and new fabrication I'm making, I'm getting the courage up to start bending and shaping metal for my own plane. I CAN do this!
Time until takeoff
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.