There is a famous saying in homebuilt aircraft circles.... "95% done, 95% still to go".
I'm starting to understand that saying. I can see the finish line still on this 701 wing repair, but everytime I think today will be the day that we put it back into storage, something else gets remembered, discovered and repaired.
So here is a quick photo run down of what I've done in the last couple of trips to the shop:
Flipping the wing over (again) I started the fun process of creating the new wing root skin. I put the plan drawing dimensions into CAD on the computer, but struggled to find someone locally who could print it to scale accurately (at 1:1 scale, it's almost 1 metre long by 300mm wide). As it turns out, the plans are really only a guideline to how this will need to be cut thanks to the original builder not closely following the plans anyhow - so hand drawing them out was the better solution.
Next up, cutting the root skin as per the template I've drawn from the plans. I tried a trial fit with the bristol board and it's close but like everything else on this wing, it'll need some adjustment to match up with the original plans.
More to come soon!
Time until takeoff
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.