Awaiting arrival of two things in order to take the next steps.
First, my dis-assembly DVD should be in the mail in the next couple of days. Once I have it, I can begin the teardown of the 140hp core motor seen here:
I'm hoping this block is in as good condition on the inside as it appears on the outside. I can't use these particular heads for my conversion, but none of the head studs are broken on this one, saving me the aggravation of trying to replace the three broken ones in the 110hp core. I'll be leaving them in the block as per the suggestion in the conversion manual, something that wasn't followed by the previous owner of the 110hp core. Also, these 4 carburetor heads will be sold to someone else and should (depending on internal condition) bring a handsome price in return.
The second things I'm waiting on is warmer weather. My plan is to mount this block on the engine mount work stand I got with the purchase. Hopefully I can drain any of the old oil that remains in the block before bringing inside to the shop for dis-assembly. Mother Nature can't seem to make up her mind - it's the 3rd of April and we got another inch of fresh snow last night.... sigh.
At least she is giving me the luxury of time to think through my plan :)
New here? Try starting at:
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.