So here is a first look at some of the highlights of my find.
There are a LOT of parts to go through and inventory, but I can't begin to explain how stoked I am about my acquisitions.
Most of everything is either salvageable as is, prime for exchange as a core for re-manufacture, or trade-worthy for other things I will need.
Casting numbers (T1208RH) on the dis-assembled core block indicate a 1965/66/67 110HP "automatic transmission no smog" block manufactured on December 8th in either 1965, 66 or 67.
The casting numbers (3878566) on the heads from this core indicate 110HP from 65, 66 or 67.
These are prime candidates for conversion. Two things I haven't found in the boxes yet are the camshaft (but that isn't a game-stopper as it will be replaced by a custom cam anyhow) and the push-rod tubes (cheap to purchase new). Everything else important seems to be there.
The original cylinders, pistons and rods from this 110hp core are in great shape and will be excellent core exchanges.
The crankshaft is the correct model (8409 cast iron) for conversion. It has already (as far as I can tell and was told) been drilled for the prop hub and safety shaft. I'm not sure if it has been nitrided or not, should be easy to find out. Huge savings having this already complete.
The new in box pistons I got with this lot have been superseded in the latest conversion plans with dished and forged aluminum pistons. Perhaps these can be traded or sold.
I paid a bit extra to obtain the prop hub assembly. It includes the machined safety shaft called for in the conversion plans. A new one from William Wynne costs over $500USD, I got it for $50CAD. Great deal!
The second core is still almost completely assembled and appears on the outside to be super clean. The valve covers even have some of their factory chrome finish left on them. The cooling fins are real nice and straight on both the cylinders and the heads.
Casting numbers (T1214RM) on the dis-assembled core block indicate a 1965 or 66 140HP "manual transmission no smog" block manufactured on December 14th in either 1965 or 66. It would be neat to know if both this and the other 110HP block were made within 6 days of each other!
The casting numbers (3878570) on the heads from this core indicate 140HP from 65 or 66.
This block is also a prime candidate for conversion. The heads however would have to be directly replaced with 95HP or 110HP heads. They will be of value to someone, probably a car rebuilder (140HP heads are rare). Of course the crank and camshaft are still inside and the push-rod tubes are there as well. I haven't looked inside this motor yet Everything else important seems to be there on this core too.
Although not pictured, Paul also included new in the box set of chrome piston rings and a David Clark headset (which appears new from the box!).
So, I think it's fair to say I've got a running head start on my engine project. A complete inventory is next. Time to buy some storage totes :)
On another note, I'd be remiss in not mentioning the support for this mission that has been given to me by my wife Brenda. She always seems to guide me away from to good to be true deals to hidden ones like these. Thanks - I love you.
Time until takeoff
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.