I had hoped to get to the shop last week, but an unseasonably warm weather forecast was causing me some concern at home. With all the snow we've had through January and early February, we had about 3 feet of accumulation on the roof. Rather than go to the shop, we thought it better to remove the bulk of snow before the positive temperatures arrive and make the snow weight too much for the roof. It took several hours, but I got it done. Didn't feel like going to the shop (ok, actually I couldn't lift my arms for a couple of days).
Back to the shop today. Got right to work creating two new wing root spar doublers. These will be installed where they should have been in the first place. Using a template, I traced out the rough shape on the 0.032 aluminum:
I cut out the shape in rough and used a file and the grinder to get the final shape exactly right:
I repeated the same steps for the second one. The process is fairly simple as you can see from the wing root attachment brackets below. From top to bottom, a finished piece from inventory, a rough cut piece to be ground and the template from the plans:
First you trace the template onto the stock, and use (in this case) a bandsaw to cut it out close to the line. Comparing the two after the bandsaw, use a sharpie marker to trace it again, leaving a line showing the remaining material to remove by sanding or grinding:
Next, use the grinder or file to remove the balance of the material as defined by the trace line:
Last step, hand sanding all the edges to a satin smooth finish. Here is the stack of eight I finished (two for this repair and 6 for inventory) and below that the stack of wing root doublers for inventory:
More rain tomorrow, so back to the shop to start working these items into the repair.... and find more things wrong with this wing..... probably :)
Husband, father and 911 dispatcher. Long time pilot with a licence that burns a hole in my pocket where my student loan money used to be. First time aircraft builder. Looking to fly my own airplane.